World

Live Updates: Iran says no interest in ceasefire, war must end fully as Trump downplays hope for a deal

gettyimages-2290522751
Foto : Elizabeth Lopez - wertynews.com
Table of Contents
  1. Iran Says No Interest in Ceasefire Deal
  2. Ceasefire Stalled as Regional Fronts Widen
  3. Houthi Ambitions at the Bab el-Mandeb Strait
  4. U.S. Carrier Rotation Amid Prolonged Standoff
  5. Frequently Asked Questions
  6. Related Reading

Iran Says No Interest in Ceasefire Deal

Wertynews.com – Following the latest live updates, Iran says no interest in a ceasefire, insisting the war must conclude fully before any negotiations resume. President Trump, meanwhile, downplayed the prospect of a near-term deal, telling reporters that Washington will not rush into an agreement that leaves the Strait of Hormuz standoff unresolved. The exchange, captured in ongoing live updates, Iran says no interest in partial arrangements, signals that both sides remain locked in a high-stakes diplomatic impasse as of August 19, 2026.

Ceasefire Stalled as Regional Fronts Widen

In Lebanon, Canadian Secretary of State for International Development Randeep Sarai condemned what he described as Israel’s “unlawful invasion” of Lebanese territory, urging that Beirut retain full sovereignty over its own land. Sarai made the remarks during a visit to announce additional humanitarian aid for a country where the United Nations reports roughly 360,000 people remain displaced by the latest Israel-Hezbollah conflict.

“We have been working actively, I think, through diplomatic channels to do whatever possible to stop that and to allow Lebanese communities that are from those areas to be able to move back,” Sarai told The Associated Press late Tuesday.

Lebanon’s health ministry has tallied more than 4,000 deaths from the war, which has caused widespread destruction across the south. Israeli forces now occupy a self-described “security zone” extending approximately six miles into southern Lebanon; many towns and villages within that zone have been largely demolished. Israeli officials have stated troops will not withdraw until Hezbollah is disarmed.

Canada, home to a sizable Lebanese diaspora, has provided roughly 800 million Canadian dollars (about $575 million) in assistance to Lebanon over the past decade, including nearly $38 million in March earmarked for food, medical, and basic health services, according to Sarai. Ottawa has criticized Israeli military operations in both Gaza and Lebanon while, like Washington and Jerusalem, designating Hezbollah as a terrorist organization.

Houthi Ambitions at the Bab el-Mandeb Strait

A Yemeni government minister warned that Houthi rebels are plotting to seize land along the strategic Bab el-Mandeb Strait, a move that would let the Iran-backed group further threaten one of the world’s busiest shipping arteries. Three Houthi military sources and a spokesman for Yemeni government forces bordering the waterway confirmed to AFP that the rebels are planning an advance.

Such an assault, if successful, would cement Houthi control over the southern gateway connecting the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden. Maritime analysis firm Kpler reported Tuesday that crossings through the Bab el-Mandeb rose 6.7 percent to 254 transits, while so-called “dark transits”—ships with transponders switched off—fell from 40 to 16. The Houthis stated last month they would block Saudi Arabia from using its Red Sea ports to ship energy products to Asian markets.

U.S. Carrier Rotation Amid Prolonged Standoff

The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS George Washington remains en route to the Middle East, where it will relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln, according to video shared by the Pentagon. A U.S. official told CBS News last week that the Washington was deployed specifically to replace the Lincoln. Relatives of service members have voiced concern over deteriorating mental-health conditions, sanitary conditions, and food supplies aboard the Lincoln during its lengthy deployment amid the war with Iran.

A typical carrier deployment lasts six months, but sailors and Marines aboard the Lincoln have been at sea for nearly nine months and counting. Two Department of Defense videos show jets landing and taking off from the Washington’s deck during “flight operations while transiting the Indian Ocean, Aug. 18, 2026.” The vague location data indicates the ship was, as of Tuesday, still south of the Arabian Sea and expected to enter U.S. Central Command’s area of responsibility within days.

CENTCOM commander Adm. Brad Cooper, who visited the Lincoln over the weekend, attempted to assuage family concerns by noting that among the 11 U.S. aircraft carriers in service, the ship “has among the lowest number of cases related to mental health.” Cooper confirmed the Lincoln was still in the Arabian Sea region as of Tuesday but is heading back to a U.S. port.

In a separate development, Iran denied on Wednesday a United Arab Emirates claim that it fired two ballistic missiles which fell into the Persian Gulf, calling the allegation inconsistent with the facts on the ground.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why does Iran reject a ceasefire at this stage? Tehran has stated through multiple channels that it will not accept a partial or interim truce; the country insists the conflict must end comprehensively before diplomatic talks resume. This position was reiterated in the most recent live updates, Iran says no interest in any arrangement that leaves military pressure intact.

What is the current status of the Strait of Hormuz standoff? The U.S. and Iran remain in a direct naval and diplomatic confrontation over the strait. The USS George Washington is transiting to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has been deployed for close to nine months—well beyond the standard six-month cycle.

How many people are displaced in Lebanon? The United Nations estimates approximately 360,000 people remain displaced as a result of the latest Israel-Hezbollah conflict. Lebanon’s health ministry reports more than 4,000 deaths.

What is Canada’s role in the Lebanon crisis? Ottawa has provided roughly 800 million Canadian dollars in assistance over ten years and recently announced additional humanitarian aid. Canadian officials have also pressed diplomatically for a halt to Israeli military operations in Lebanese territory.

Leave a Comment